Thursday, October 21, 2010

New MacBook Air -where does it fit?

Yesterday Apple announced their update to the MacBook Air. It was the first major remake of the Air in 2 years. Apple says they took everything they learned from the iPhone and iPad and put it in a Mac. They said it's the future of the laptop. It's available in both 13.3' and a new 11.6" versions. Of course I ordered one. (not available at the Apple store yet.)


Here's what's new and exciting:

  • Thin and light- .68" at thickest spot .11" at thinnest. 2.9 Lbs. for the 13.3 and 2.3 for the 11.6" version. I ordered the 13.3" - the iPad weighs 1.5 lbs.
  • No hard drive- completely solid state flash memory= instant on. I ordered the 128 gb model a 256 gb is also available.
  • More ports 2 USB versus 1 on previous model. THey added a SD Card reader on the 13.3.
  • Lower price- the low end is $999.00. mine was about $1500 with 4 gb of ram.
  • 7 hours of battery life

I've owned a MacBook Air for about a year. I also have an iPad. There is an ongoing comparison at our house about which is better. I go with the Air over the iPad for these reasons.

  1. The keyboard - the iPads on screen keyboard is not for any kind of serious typing, especially is your a lousy typist like me. 
  2. The ability to run real applications versus scaled downed lite versions.
  3. The ability to multi-task, though this is coming to the iPad in Nov. 
  4. The ability to print!
  5. Flash - I don't care if Steve Jobs hates Adobe, but it's a pain to keep missing content because the iPad doesn't run flash.
  6. I think the ipad is a little hard to hold and work with.
My MB air is scheduled to arrive by October 28. We'll see if it can rival my MacBook pro for "my only mac" rights.

Would you spend $300 more for a 11.6" screen Macbook Air full computer with a keyboard and the above benefits vs. an iPad with 9.7" screen and the above shortcomings? Get all the details here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: